Well, if your answer is any of the following, you just might:
- For heaven’s sake, why?
- You bet your sweet bippy I would!
- In a heart beat.
- Not on your life!
- Uh … would I what? … maybe. I don’t know. Right now I’m too tired to think.
Oh my! What a mixed bag of responses. And that’s as it should be, everyone is an individual and no two journeys are ever the same.
But we may just have these few points in common:
- We all wanted to be our own bosses, determine our own fates, and make our mark on the world.
- We each started with an idea that we thought would make a difference, maybe even set the world on fire.
- And we were naive (except, of course, for those of us who would never admit to such a thing.)
And we had these shared experiences:
- We pulled our hair out trying to come up with, … What was it? The perfect name for our company, the perfect office space (even if it was a corner of the bedroom or the back of the garage), and the perfect work companion.
- We worried and piddled and plodded and wasted our time searching for the unfindable: the cheapest, nay, most affordable solution to who knows what (and who could remember anyway, what with so many irons in the fire): Game boards, dice, cards, pawns, web hosting, business insurance, stationery, printers, computers – and the list goes on and on.
- And don’t even get me started on software. You could spend a fortune in either time or money or both and have nothing to show for it but a handful of air – those little 1’s and 0’s that just slip through your fingers and generally have a mind of their own.
- And then we tossed and turned and, well, we never obsessed, Did we? Over the legal ramifications of intellectual property and property rights and copyright and, for the really bad off among us, trademarks and patents.
So, just what is it that drives us to such madness? What got us started in the first place? Was it a lust for money and power? An insatiable need for personal recognition? Popularity? Fame?
Maybe it was, and still is, something as simple as child’s play: we love games. And from where I sit, there’s nothing wrong with that.